|At the beginning of the day
- Fill a fresh purified water bottle and attach to dental unit if applicable.
- Purge the handpiece line and air water syringe line by flushing for 2-3 minutes at beginning of day and between patients for 30 seconds.
- Make up fresh ultrasonic cleaning solution as per manufacturer’s instructions.
- Check date on the cold soak germicide – change if necessary.
- Review manufacturer’s instructions regarding sterilizer preparation and testing requirements. (Biological spore test, Bowie Dick, etc.)
NOTE: Always wear gloves/masks/eye protection when making up these solutions.
Ensure adequate ventilation. Label containers properly.
|Before the procedure
- Disinfect the operatory by following the manufacturers recommended instructions. If using OPTIM 33TB disinfectant wipes or spray, wipe surface area and leave wet for 1 minute.
- Cover control panels, light switch, light handle, head rest, light curing unit, keyboard and mouse with barriers.
- Collect and set patient and place protective glasses and bib on patient.
- Review and update the medical history.
- Adjust chair position and light.
- Operator dons protective glasses and mask.
- Operator washes and dries hands and dons a fresh pair of gloves.
- Place sterile instruments/burs/cotton rolls on a protected work surface.
- After delivering local anaesthetic, resheath needle using ‘single handed’ technique.
- Dentist removes and disposes of needle and cartridge in SHARPS container.
- Carry out the procedure. Operator should not touch any surface or item outside zoned area.
- Should the operator need to leave the chair side, e.g. to answer telephone, he/she should remove and dispose of gloves and wash hands; on returning to chair side the operator washes and dries hands and dons fresh pair of gloves.
NOTE: Care should be taken to avoid cross contamination between items such as glass labs, composite syringes, impression materials, etc.
|After the procedure
- Flush handpiece for 30 seconds.
- Flush suction with cold water.
- Flush cuspidor and cup filler.
- Remove all barriers on controls and dispose.
- Remove gloves and dispose.
- Don fresh pair of gloves, utility gloves are recommended.
- Clean operatory surfaces to remove debris as per manufacturer’s instructions.
- Disinfect the operatory surfaces with disinfectant solution
as per manufacturer’s instructions.
- If using OPTIM 33TB, this is a single step procedure unless the surface is heavily soiled.
- Remove gloves and dispose of them, together with wipes.
- Wash and dry hands.
- Set up for next patient.
|End of the day
- Make up fresh solution of evacuation system cleaner as per manufacturer’s instructions.
- Remove and empty purified water bottle from unit. Disinfect DUWL according to manufacturer’s directions.
- Any waste amalgam found in filter should be placed in an ‘amalgam safe’ container and the filter then rinsed with water and disinfected. Rinse with tap water and air-dry overnight
- Remove filter from suction unit and disinfect. Rinse with tap water and air-dry overnight.
- Empty, disinfect and dry ultrasonic bath as per manufacturer’s instructions.
- Disinfect all work surfaces and dental unit, base of chair and pedals.